Socially Responsible TourismSocially Responsible Tourism
As part of an ongoing plan to guarantee ethical and environmentally friendly practices, Samui Villas & Homes Co., Ltd. (SVH) and Phuket Villas & Homes Co., Ltd. (PVH), recently declared its commitment to the implementation of The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism.
An official signing ceremony took place at Dhevatara Residence, Koh Samui on Friday 17th of April attended by members of both organizations, as well as the head of the Samui Municipality and the island's police chief.
SVH CEO John Birt signed the agreement with Mr. Pravit Ekcharoensook, the head of ECPAT (End Child Prostitution Child Pornography and Trafficking of Children for Sexual Purposes), an organization that works to protect children in the travel and tourism industry. The company will also take action for the successful implementation of the following six criteria as an integrated part of its daily operations:
1. To establish an ethical policy regarding commercial sexual exploitation of children
2. To train personnel in the code of practice.
3. To introduce a clause in contracts with suppliers, stating the common repudiation of commercial sexual exploitation of children
4. To provide information to customers by means of catalogues, brochures, web sites and video clips.
5. To provide information to key local figures at the relevant destinations.
6. To report annually on their activities.
SVH and PVH will implement the submitted action plan at all destinations where sexual exploitation of children is considered an issue of high concern. Chief Operating Officer, Marc Ribail said the company will make every effort to reach the minimum standards of implementation approved by the Annual General Meeting of The Code for each criterion.